Thursday, June 2, 2022

LITERARY: "Au revoir, Mon amour" by Franxine Teodocio

 


Published by: Ysabella Charis Vaila 

Date published: June 2, 2022

Time published: 4:02 p.m. 


Category: Prose

Theme: Love, Acceptance

Synopsis: Will Althea still insist on her love for Lucas or will she just set him free? Does love really conquer all?

-

“May your love be eternal and undying. In witness of your love and commitment, it is now a pleasure to introduce you to those who are present here as husband and wife,” the Priest said. I looked at Lucas, we smiled at each other while crying. Maybe it was tears of joy. “I love you,” he mouthed, my cheeks blushed. I was still admiring him even though we were getting married now. “I love you more,” I mouthed too.

“In honor of your entrance into the holy wedlock,” the Priest continued. “You may now kiss the bride.” Lucas touched my jaw and brought his face closer.

We kissed like forever. Everyone applauded with a smile on their lips.

“I promise you that I will stay by your side no matter how hard our life is. I love you and I will love you forever” Lucas whispered and hugged me tightly.

-

I smiled bitterly while reminiscing that moment when he loved me the most. The time when no one else could stop him from loving me. I kept everything he promised me, and I thought marriage vows were solemn promises for each other to be taken by two people who had sworn in front of God, going through the path they would walk together through thick and thin.

“Lucas,” I called him when I saw him well-dressed while hurrying down the stairs, but he looked at me coldly. He was no longer the Lucas I married before. He went straight to the fridge and drank some cold water. I was about to give him the coffee I made. “I made you coffee-“ but he cut me off.

“I’m going home late.” I just nodded at him then he turned around and left. He ignored the breakfast I prepared on the table. I was able to return to the bedroom when I suddenly heard a noise coming from the bathroom. It was Lucas’ phone ringing. I was stunned when I saw who was calling.

A girl named Jacky, his ex-girlfriend.

We were in 4th year of college the last time I heard anything from her, and it was already seven years ago. I didn’t know when they both talked again, he didn’t update me like he used to. It was a big deal to me because Lucas ruined his life when Jacky left him. I witnessed everything because I was Lucas’ best friend. I knew how he struggled, how hurt he was, and how he begged Jacky just to get her back. But Jacky refused and left the country. Lucas became quiet, but we all didn’t know that he followed Jacky to the US.

But after a month, he came back here crying. He said that Jacky already had a fiancé. But I didn’t know what happened now, why was she calling Lucas? I was about to answer the call but she ended it. I shuddered as I looked at its twenty-six missed calls and her recent text message to Lucas. “Hey, Love! Why aren’t you answering my calls? Maybe you’re on your way here. Take care, love you.” And there, I couldn’t stop the tears from falling.

Is Jacky the reason why he left early every day and came home in the middle of night? Love? Jacky? Really, Lucas?

_

He continued to treat me coldly over the past few weeks. I still continued to prepare him breakfast every day even though he didn’t bother to eat it, I still made him coffee he didn’t drink, and I still greet him when he came home at night even though I was just like a wind to him. I was still hoping this relationship would be even better.

I decided to follow him so I would know everything. I could no longer hide the pain I was feeling right now. It hurt to think that just like yesterday he loved me so much and the next day he woke up, he forgot that there was me in his life.

I took a cab to follow Lucas. He stopped at the familiar restaurant, the place they both liked to go to way back in college. I waited for him until he got out of the resto. I wasn’t mistaken that Jacky was with him, next to them was a boy who really looked like Lucas. Lucas please, tell me what I think was wrong. I saw how happy Lucas was, only now I had seen him so happy again.

Lucas kissed Jacky’s forehead, and he mouthed, “I love you.” Jacky grinned. I could no longer watch them happy, I left that place in tears.

-

I was so devastated, there was not a single night that my tears dripped from my eyes. The night before Lucas’ business trip. I texted Jacky using Lucas' phone that we would meet tomorrow morning there at the resto where I last saw them. Lucas wouldn’t know about it because he told the maid to wake him up before lunch.

I brought Lucas’ phone. Jacky texted that she was already there. I didn’t know if I would still continue this but I wanted to know the truth, why they met, why it suddenly happen, and if Lucas still loved me. I took a deep breath before finally getting inside the resto, I saw Jacky seating near the glass wall.

Her eyes widened when she saw me in front of her. I smiled sparingly and then sat down in front of her. “Long time no see, Jacky.” I smiled bitterly. I ordered food, but she refused, still, I insisted.

She wasn’t eating the food, she was just staring at me. “Why aren’t you eating? Don’t you like the food-“ but she cut me off. “Althea, I’m sorry.” She stooped her head down.

I was hurt but I couldn’t get angry. “Can you please tell me everything? Why are you two meeting each other? What did I read? And the boy who really looked like Lucas, who is he?” The tears that were about to drip, have finally fallen.

She looked down. “Do you remember when I leave the country for good?” I nodded. “I’m… pregnant that time and Lucas is the father. I was surprised when he was there, he followed me, but then I told him that I’ve been engaged. I felt pity for him, he knelt down in front of me and begged me to come back to him. I really love Lucas, Althea,” she said while crying.

“Why didn’t you tell him right away? So as not to lead further into this. You knew him, you know that he will do something and anything for you.”

“I do, Althea… I do.” She raised her head and faced me. “When I was already ready to tell him everything, the day I came back here is also the day…of your marriage.”

“Do you two have a relationship?” I asked. My heart was trembling. But she nodded her head slowly. I shook my head, it was absurd. Was I to blame for all of this? What if I didn’t marry Lucas, would they both be happier? What should I do? Should I let Lucas go?

I left, I no longer want to hear what she had to say. Maybe that was enough to answer the questions that were troubling my mind. I thought his love for me would be until death us do part, but I was wrong. He gave me a reason to question myself. What had I done wrong and what happened was due to my negligence. I did everything I could for the both of us so that he would not have to look for others. But that was still not enough.

_

I left the country without them knowing. I knew that I couldn’t give Lucas a child so I let them be happy and…be a complete family. I wanted to be mad but as they said, if you really loved the person you would set them free and you would support them where they were happy. It still hurt but I knew that acceptance was always the key.

Je t'aime vraiment, Lucas. C'est pourquoi je t'ai libéré. Au revoir mon amour.


No comments:

Post a Comment