Saturday, September 15, 2018

LITERARY: A Lucky Day

By: Eric Paulin


Alfred walked slowly toward the dining table where Anthony sat, who was watching as he dragged himself across the sala with keen eyes. After what felt like a couple of minutes, he was finally able to take a sit across the young teacher. Anthony already got used to this set up. It had always pained him to see the old man struggle, but Alfred just wouldn’t allow him to help.

“Let’s eat,” Alfred announced, catching his breath.

After uttering a short prayer, Anthony asked, “How’s your day, idol?”

Anthony called Alfred ‘idol’.

“Actually, it was kinda odd,” replied Alfred. There was uncertainty in the tone of his voice.

“Yeah? Tell me about it.”

“I don’t know. I’ve been very luck today.”

Anthony’s eyebrows contorted. “What do you mean?”

The two started eating while they continued with their conversation. In front of them was the heated PiniƱahan they also had earlier for lunch. Alfred replied, “I don’t believe in luck, right? You know that.”

“Yes, idol,” answered Anthony matter-of-factly.

“But… there were too many good things that happened to me earlier.”

“Like?” Curiosity was very obvious in Anthony’s voice.

“Like when I was crossing the street after going to church this afternoon. The traffic was really bad, but the police officer assisted me and walked me across the pedestrian lane.” He said it like he was proud of what happened.

Anthony felt weird. There was nothing special about it. Alfred was very old. It was just normal that someone would offer him assistance crossing streets, most especially police officers.

Alfred sensed this, and so, he added, “And then, Dr. Rivera’s clinic was closed today. I don’t know why. So, I had no choice but to try the other clinic nearby.” Alfred had been complaining about difficulty in breathing. “The doctor there was very nice. And what more! She did not let me pay!”

“That’s really nice, idol.” Now, Anthony could see why Alfred was very pleased.

Alfred did not look like he was finished. He carried on, “I forgot her name, though. You know how forgetful I am.”

Anthony nodded.

“Her kindness didn’t stop there, though. She referred to me to a nearby pharmacy for my maintenance. It was the one in front of the public elementary school in bayan. The doctor told me that they sell cheap medicines there."

“Good news. I didn’t know that. But from now on, I will be buying your medicines there.”

“Hold on Anthony. She was wrong… The doctor was wrong. Medicines there aren’t cheap. For reasons I don’t know, the lady there gave everything to me for free!” A huge smile crossed Anthony’s face, accompanied by huge emphatic gestures.

This put Anthony to the edge of his sit. “Seriously?”

“Yes. I told you. It is my lucky day.”

"I envy you, idol." Anthony turned his head upwards. He murmured, “I wonder when will my lucky day be.”

Alfred laughed but it was cut off immediately as he was engulfed in a round of deep coughs. By that time, they were already almost finished with their food. The old guy continued, “After buying from the pharmacy, I went to the newly opened food chain near the city hall. I wanted to try if it’s good there.”

“And was it?” Alfred was a bit surprised with the sudden change of topic.

“Oh yes it is. I didn’t know that their soft opening has a promo for senior citizens, though. We can eat anything today for free. I was the only old man there so I guess they didn't market that very well."

“You’ve have had a lot of free stuff today, idol,” Anthony smirked. He just finished eating. He burped, and said, “I should go with you more often. Anyway, the city engineer who’s doing our house is giving us a big discount. I think it’s worth mentioning, considering your series of lucky events today.”

*   *   *

While rummaging over his books, something heavy fell beside him, missing his right foot with an inch. It produced a loud thump. Good thing, it did not wake Anthony, who was already snoring on the couch.

It was a huge white book.

It exhausted Alfred just stooping down to pick it up. Its weight was more than how it looked. Upon taking it to his arms, he saw that it was the yearbook from his last year of teaching. A few memories flooded his mind, but most of them were hid behind a thick veil of aging.

He settled on a stool beside the sala table. His weak knees let him fall awkwardly on the hard surface of the chair. He spread the yearbook on his rigid lap and started skimming across pages. Some faces were familiar, but most of them were strangers to him. And then, after half an hour, he landed on the page containing his last advisory class that ended his 43-year career in the teaching profession. There, he saw his students who were very dear to him. Indicated below each photo were a few information about the students, plus, their dreams in life. There was this Dominic de Jesus… who wanted to be a policeman someday. Another photo of a student named Jonathan Carlo Ronquillo made Alfred laugh. He had the strangest face in class, but he was never bullied even if there was a very big bully in class named Gerald. JC wanted to be a restaurant owner someday while Gerard wrote that he wanted to be an engineer. Alfred wished that they had achieved their endeavors.

(c) http://perrylocal.org/

He turned to the next page and there were the girls in class. The first one was Sarah Almario whose dream was to be a medical doctor. Right next to her was her best friend, Darla Marie Decena. She was the top in class. Scribbled below her list of achievements was her dream to become a pharmacist. Alfred knew she could easily be who she wanted to be.

Suddenly, a memory hit Alfred. He had almost forgotten that Anthony belonged to that class. He went back to the previous page and searched for Anthony's face. When he saw him, he realized why he overlooked his photo. Anthony looked very different from how he looked presently. He was still wearing glasses; the ones that only a dork would wear.

He had no achievements. So… directly below his name was a statement telling his dream… to be a teacher.

1 comment: