Monday, May 3, 2021

LITERARY: "Haunting Lies" by Fatima Rigel Ong

I denied it more than I could

Only because it was more reassuring that way

It gave me comfort, somehow

No unjustifiable fear of losing something that was not mine

And no uneasy feelings

But as years passed, the harder it became

The heavier this feeling got

I feared it would just burst one day

Funny how things turned out the way it did

We grew up, separately

But I’m still afraid to say ‘hey’

 


If eyes could talk

You would have known

It has always been you

I couldn’t accept it either

I did not want to

But maybe I was wrong when I said the heart can be taught 

I tried to stop it

And I obviously failed

I wouldn’t have written this if I didn’t

I never nurtured it

It just grew and grew

Like a fire in the woods

Burned everything it touched

And I laid on its ashes

It was useless to lie in the first place

Because again, it had always been you.

No comments:

Post a Comment