Thursday, March 10, 2022

LITERARY: "To My Mother" (National Women's Month) by Juliana Agbulos


Published by: Lloyd Agbulos 

Date published: March 10, 2022

Time published: 12:22 PM


Category: Poetry 

Theme: Mother's Love

Synopsis: As cliché as it may sound, a mother's love is and will always be unconditional. 

 

Someone once told me that it was like the sultry eye of heaven—

That kindled a jocund radiance;

And the warmth of a perennial hearth. 

To some, it was a rare orb,

With some sort of gravity that pulled all the sides equally;

And made it a three-dimensional sphere. 

The day I took my first step would be forgotten,

Along with the first fretful stream that drowned my eyes;

But not where I first lived.

As amusing as it might sound, 

But if the ether would permit;

I'd wish to come back.

Though 274 days there felt faster than the speed of light,

I knew you still endured swimming through the rogue waves. 

No man on this earth could ever do what you did. 

Not even the strongest man alive. 

With your unreserved waves,

An oasis of serenity had been uncovered. 

You were the eternal lucida in my empyrean, 

And the rosebush in the summer solstice. 


Painting: Little Ann Sucking Her Finger Embraced by Her Mother (1897) by Mary Cassatt

No comments:

Post a Comment