Wednesday, May 18, 2022

LITERARY: "On A Positive Note" by Isela Ingrid D. Pabunan

 


Published by: Aira Lindsay L. Dela Cruz

Date published: May 18, 2022

Time published: 12:13 PM 



Category: Prose

Theme: Romantic Comedy

Synopsis: Is it possible that as sweet as your drink, you're able to experience something sugary too? Welcome to soothe cafe, a cafe made for hopeless people.


"Hi, I would like two orders of bubble teas..."


I looked at the screen above the server's counter, thinking of what flavor suits our mood best.


"Oh hey, I don't have extra money on me." She chimed. "It's okay, I got it all on me."

I looked at my side, and she pouted. I can't read whether she'll accept it or not. Fortunately, we didn't draw a line because the cafe wasn't notable due to its location.


"Okay, only if you're fine with it. Let me know, and we'll have large both."


"Yeah, okay fine."


Looking back, the server asked us what our orders might be. I chose Okinawa, while she chose blueberry cheesecake, like how we always do. 


This place looked fabulous, I wondered why it didn't have many customers. 


"Hey, the guy looked so cute. Maybe he's the one for me? Or my soulmate perhaps?"

I laughed. There she goes again with her endless fantasy. Every decent guy she sees, she chimes the same thing.


"We're here to get milk teas, not boys."


We both laughed but got embarrassed after. The moment after I said those words, the server was already there, holding our drinks.


He packed our milk teas on a paper drinker carrier, together with its napkin and straw.

"Enjoy your drinks, ma'am."


The sweet man smiled at us, and my friend dashed to get the drinks from his hands. At that moment, she got a chance to touch his fingers.


We bid our goodbyes and thanked the man. Walking slowly towards the door, I insisted on holding our drinks instead. She wanted to hold hers because she wants to drink it right away.

I held mine and threw the holder at a bin close to me. The napkin I almost threw with it came with a note. Thankfully I didn't let go of it.


"You look stunning today. Hope to see you again someday :))."


And under it, wrote a number.


I folded the part of the napkin that had the writing and used the remaining to cover my drink.

"What are you doing there slowpoke?"


She exclaimed, walking towards me as if she was going to lift me up and throw me to a fountain nearby.


"Oh, nothing. Apologies."


I smiled, looking at the folded paper between my index and middle finger.


"Look at you, smiling like a lunatic! What's with the milk tea that you're really happy about?!?"


"Just reminded me of something."


"Who?"


"It's not a who, I don't dedicate things to people! Plus it's really ridiculous that someone reminded me of a drink. Sucks to be them."


"Then, what could it be?" 


"Some sweet things that happened now."


"Coming from a serious person, how could something like that happen? And now? Nothing's really special on you right?"


"Yeah, you're right."


We reached the glass door, I opened it for the both of us.


"Is it safe to say, earlier then?"


I glanced back at the cafe, the man was waving at me. Unconsciously, I waved back at him together with a smile. 


Looking back at my drink, I noticed something written on my cup— no, it was sugar. Melted sugar in the shape of a mini heart. Must've been like that in the making.


I opened the napkin, it was empty...? Back to my cup, there was the napkin with the written number. Already wrinkled and can barely see the numbers.


My friend stared at me as I groaned in frustration. No... I checked both the papers, I swear!

"Why are you sobbing all of a sudden? Does your drink taste bad?"


"No! There was a number and small note written in it!"


"You mean this?"


She handed her cup and pointed at the same written letter and number in it.

"Idiot! Maybe that's just how they serve their drinks. What's so special about it? Want to visit again?"


She burst out laughing. I'm never going to expect anything romance-related again.

"Drink it before it gets you again!"


Am I a fool for expecting that he's interested in me? Yes. A dumb person, late to realize that it's part of their product? Yes.


I shouldn't have expected too much, damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment