Monday, August 17, 2026

𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗥𝗬: "I Wish I Could Be a Kid Again" by Jhenielle Perez


 

Cartoon by: Jemima Martha Seguerra
Published by: Beatrice Isabel Miole
Date Published: August 17, 2026
Time Published: 10:07am


Category: Poetry
Theme: Even the stars grow weary watching children rush toward adulthood, only to spend the rest of their lives longing for the childhood they left behind.


Back when I was a child,
I thought being a teenager was easy.
I thought growing up meant reaching the sky,
never knowing it could come crashing down on me.

I used to count birthdays
like they were little victories.
But I didn't know each one
would quietly bury pieces of the child
I used to be.

Somewhere between wishing 
to be older overnight 
and waking up to become one,
the stars had already begun 
watching with tired eyes.

And no one warned me
that the deepest wounds
wouldn't come from strangers.
They would come from the ones
I trusted first.

The same hands
that once taught me how to walk
would one day make me question
whether I deserved to stand at all.

They never sounded loud
through the house,
yet somehow
they never stopped echoing inside me.

"You're worthless."
"Why can't you be like them?"
"You'll never be enough."

It's strange how the people who were meant 
to teach me what love sounded like
left me wondering whether I was ever
a child to be loved,
or just another expectation
waiting to disappoint them.

So I smiled,
not because I was happy,
but because tears
only seemed to make things worse.

Eventually,
silence became easier than explaining.
Because every word I tried to give
returned to me already misunderstood.

On the nights
I couldn't carry the weight anymore,
I looked up
the same way I did as a child.

The stars were still there.
Only now,
they seemed exhausted—
too exhausted.

Perhaps they've spent centuries watching children
reach for tomorrow,
never knowing that one day
their tomorrows would ache for yesterday.

And if I could speak to the child I used to be,
I wouldn't promise that everything would be okay.
I'd only ask them to stay little
just a little longer.

Because perhaps
that's why the stars look so tired.
They've watched this wish
repeat itself
since the beginning of time—

children begging
to grow up,
and adults
spending the rest of their lives
searching the night sky for the childhood
they never knew they were leaving behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment