Friday, October 8, 2021

LITERARY: "Engraved Bracelets" by Isabel Vargas Almerez

 Fond of things I hung on my wrist

Various colors were shining

Different designs cheerfully danced,

as I swayed my arms along with the butterflies

Certainly caught the eyes of those who passed by.


Praised only a part of my body and asked  “Where should I get one?”

They were blinded by the beauty of a thing,

Even if its ugliness was visible

They scanned each string, but not the mysterious ones hidden underneath


My engraved bracelets

If I were to put it into the most elegant term

Fruit of my loneliness

Spit of my sadness


My hand trembled, scared, but benumbed

I drew countless linear lines 

Trickles of blood spilled over

And I watched them; I just stared

Missed tears were finally found, again.

They resembled a fine wine and water that just had fought

And the floor was the prize


This was the only pain I had ever tolerated.

But, my pal coldness has been replaced by a stranger named warmth

Time modified most 

Harms turned into scars,

then I owned permanent marks


Further, I regained the drum

Its sticks thumped endlessly inside my chest

I’m still alive, and the instrument within me still did its own thing

To beat, continuously.

No comments:

Post a Comment