Monday, December 13, 2021

LITERARY: “A Blissful Christmas” by Honey Grace Tolentino


Category: Prose

Theme: Christmas celebration

Synopsis: Everything stopped the moment the pandemic hit. Now that the world was getting back to itself, things could be done the way they used to be. 

It was the year 2021. The streets I was walking in were bright and jolly. Every house had its Christmas lights turned on. The merry month finally came weeks ago. It started getting cold every night last month and I liked it. I could really feel Christmas coming. 

On my way back, I saw children on their house’s porch singing Christmas songs.

I went to the supermarket with my mother earlier to buy the things we need to celebrate Christmas. My other relatives will visit us later. For sure our house would be filled with laughter once more. We weren’t able to celebrate together last time because of the issued quarantine. That was why I was so glad this year. We were finally stepping closer to our freedom against this pandemic. 

“I’m back,” I said. My mother asked me to buy condensed milk since we weren’t able to buy enough. She forgot that she put back the other one, so here I was, heading to the kitchen and handing it to her. 

I went to our living room and joined my Dad there who was watching the choir singing through our television. 

Deck the halls with boughs of holly

Fa la la la la, la la la la 

Tis the season to be jolly

Fa la la la la, la la la la 

Don we now our gay apparel

Fa la la la la, la la la la

Troll the ancient Yuletide carol

Fa la la la la, la la la la

“Oh! You guys are here! Come in, come in!” my mother said after she opened the gates for our visitors. I stood up when my aunts and uncles came in, followed by my cousins. “My goodness! You’re taller now than the last time I saw you, hija!” Aunt said as she hugged me. I did the same and laughed at her remark. “Yes, and it’s hard to move, Tita,” I replied. My aunt laughed along. 

My father and uncles started talking to each other while I entertained my younger cousins. 

Jingle bells, jingle bells,

Jingle all the way.

Oh what fun it is to ride

In a one-horse open sleigh, hey!

Jingle bells, jingle bells,

Jingle all the way.

Oh, what fun it is to ride,

In a one-horse open sleigh.

They started singing along the choir. They even danced along with the beat and music. Small hands waved through the air as they started lifting their arms to dance even more. I moved with them even with small steps. “‘Nak, come here. Help us prepare,” Mom called out. I went to where they were and started helping. 

I decided to take part in making graham. When I finished the last batch, I stood to the side and watched my mother and aunts talk while making carbonara. 

My Dad set up the TV for our Christmas count down, my uncles helped him. They laughed at each other when they accidentally bump into each other’s heads. “Can you pass me that spatula, ‘nak?” Mom asked. I went to the other corner of the table and handed her the spatula. 

“5...4...3...2...1! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!” We all shouted in unison. My cousins jumped up and down, eyes full of joy. My aunts and Mom hugged each other. I joined them. The men did the same as they raised their cups. “Let’s go get the kids’ gifts,” Aunt said. I went with them and helped bring the gifts to the table. “Here, for you, hija,” My other aunt gave me the gift wrapped in red and green wrappers. “Thank you, Tita,” I said, hugging the both of them. 

We started feasting on the food placed nicely on the table in our dining area. 

I sat down on my chair and looked at them. My family finally got to spend Christmas with us. There was nothing more I could ask.

Published by: Renz Mar M. Mangana
Date Published: December 13, 2021 
Time Published: 9:18 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment