Friday, December 10, 2021

LITERARY: "The Nutcracker Part 1" by: Ley Anne Caringal



Classification: Prose
Theme: Christmas, Fantasy
Synopsis: After watching the movie; The nutcracker, Emma’s sister, Andy, wonders if the movie can happen in real life. Emma wasn’t buying any of it not until her father bought a nutcracker.

“From now on, that’s my favorite movie!” My sister, Andy, said. “Yeah, right,” I replied as I fixed her bed. “Now go to sleep.”

“I wonder if it can happen to me,” Andy said jumping on her bed. I snorted. “You wish.”

“Ladies!”

“Papa!” Andy shouted and ran downstairs. I sighed. Now I would have a hard time making Andy go to sleep. I followed her downstairs. She was unwrapping a box. “A Nutcracker!” Andy shouted. Yeah, I just knew Andy would sleep with the Nutcracker beside her.

-

“Can you sleep already?” I asked her a million times. “I need to make sure that the nutcracker is true! I will sleep later, Emma,” she said. I was still in her room. It was already 11 pm. It would be Saturday tomorrow, but hello? I need rest. “Maybe The Nutcracker doesn’t want you here...” Andy looked at me innocently. “You should go to your room, Emma.”

“Excuse me, young lady, It’s already past your bedtime.”

“But The Nutcracker...” She pouted. I.Was.Too.Soft.For.This. “Fine,” I said. “You know what to do when something bad happens.”

“Thanks, Emma!” I walked out of her room and ran to mine. I slumped down on my bed. I guessed I was really tired...

-

“Emma!! Wake up!”

“Andy, it’s too early...”

“What do you mean? It’s 11:30 pm!”

“What? Aish, what do you need?” I asked. I was still half asleep. I couldn't do this right now.
“The Nutcracker!” She whispered. “Seriously? You let me sleep for half an hour and you woke me up just to say...the nutcracker? Can the nutcracker make me fall asleep again?” I said as I get up. “The nutcracker just talked to me!”

“Are you really awake?” I asked. I looked at her and she was smiling at me holding her pillow. She was, indeed, awake. “Come with me!” She said as she dragged me down the hallway up to her room. A bit strong for a 7-year- old girl. “Why are you so strong? What have you been eating...”

“Look at the nutcracker, Emma!” I looked around and the nutcracker was.. uh, standing?

“And?” I asked not amused. My sister rolled her eyes. Excuse me? “Alright. That’s it. Go to your bed, Andy.”

“No,” she said shaking her head. “I– Come on! We need to sleep.”

“No... The nutcracker will be lonely.”

“What do you mean?” I sighed. “Here.” I handed her the nutcracker. “The Nutcracker wants to go home already.” She said fixing her blanket. “He’s already home, Andy. Now sleep.”

“This isn’t my home,” Andy said in a different voice. “If this is your way to stay up late it isn’t working.” I snorted. “It wasn’t me, Emma! It was The Nutcracker!”

“What do you-” I was cut off short when the nutcracker talked, “Hello, Emma!” I was about to scream but Andy interrupted me. “Don’t scream very loud...just maybe a whisper?”

“What do you mean, Andy? I’m- Are you kidding me? Oh gosh. I’m a good sister, I don’t drink. I don’t do d–”

“What are you saying?” Confusion was seen on Andy’s face. “Am I dreaming? Hallucinating?”

“Nope!” I heard someone said as I felt a sting in my foot. The Nutcracker just hit my foot! “AH!” I shouted.

“AH!” Andy shouted. “AH!” The nutcracker followed.

“Why are we shouting?” Andy asked.

“Who are you?” I asked the nutcracker. “Uh, The Nutcracker?” I rolled my eyes. “Where’s your home?”

“Downstairs.”

“Wha- Okay, you know what? Let’s go. Let’s bring you home.” I didn’t even think twice. Now, I didn’t know where we are. All I could see was snow.

Published by: Kim Ashley Masagca
Date published: December 10, 2021
Time published: 5:21pm

No comments:

Post a Comment