Tuesday, February 8, 2022

LITERARY: "You got a friend in me." By: Ley Anne Caringal

 



“You are fired!”

“You are a disgrace in this family!”

“Why did you even show up here?!”

“Loser!”

“Die!”

“I’m breaking up with you.”

“You are draining me.”

Those were the words that echoed loudly in my ears. It felt like thousand knives that all leads to my heart. My tear dropped as I reconciled the happenings earlier. I lost my job; I was criticized by my own family, and the only person that loved me left.

“What should I do, Cleo?” I asked my dog who was watching me cry.

 “I want to end this already.” I cried harder when my dog whimpered. I kissed her head and went to the storage room. I remembered keeping a rope there…I reached out the rope and looked at it for a minute. Should I say sorry for being a failure?

“Ouch!’ I shouted. My dog scratched me. I bent down and carried her back to my room. “I’m sorry, Cleo...”

I didn’t have a reason to live. I lost everyone I loved. No one was there for me.

I picked up a chair and stood on it. I tied the rope into a knot. I closed my eyes and thought of the happy memories. I was happy. We were happy. I wasn’t a failure back then. But it was different now. The happy memories suddenly shifted to sad and bad ones that pushed me to put my head into the rope.

“I’m sorry...”

My dog was barking loudly but I didn’t mind her. I’m sorry, Cleo…

I looked at my dog one last time. She was holding the toy I gave her last year. She was crying... this was the first time I felt that someone cared for me. I remembered playing with Cleo every day. Cleo was with me all the time.

I got down from the chair and sat beside Cleo. She leaned her head on me and started cuddling me. I cried harder knowing that if I continued what I was doing earlier, I would be leaving Cleo all alone. I would be leaving my only friend and family. I hugged her tight.

Even though there was a million reason to give up, there was always enough reason to stay and continue fighting.




Published By: Julianne Rose M. Laureano
Date Published: February 8, 2022
Time Published: 12;12 pm 


No comments:

Post a Comment