Friday, March 4, 2022

LITERARY: "A Blank Canvas" (The Love of a Mother) By Aaliyah Van T. Pineda


Published by: April R. Despi

Date published: March 04, 2022

Time published: 8:51 AM


Classification: Prose

Theme: Mother's Love

Synopsis: Agnes, head maid of the Livingstone mansion did not teach her title that easily. In fact, she has been through quite a lot to reach everything she has achieved.

(This is the story of Agnes, of how she swore absolute loyalty and dignity to Levi's family. This story will be taking place in the same world as my main story, the story with several parts. But this one consists of Agnes' background.)

... 

My history with the Livingstone family goes back years ago, to when I was but a six-year-old girl. My parents divorced when I was four, and my little sister, Ann, was newly born. Whilst our mother took me in, our father decided to keep my sister. The two moved away to Ireland some weeks later.

My mum and I were a wee bit upset about them moving away to a new country, mainly because we wouldn't be able to see Ann again. And yes, we were also upset that we weren't going to see my dad again.

My parents were both highly skilled martial arts teachers, but it goes without saying that my mother was far more talented and proficient than my father, but they taught me everything I knew. After Ann and our father moved away, Mum took it upon herself to train me to become stronger than I was before because Dad won't be there anymore.

Mum and I managed on our own. The two of us loved each other very much. We were all we had left. At school, I was what you would refer to as a short-tempered child. Whenever I saw someone harassing or bullying another in any way, I would immediately throw a punch without hesitation.

Because of my violent and aggressive behavior, I would often be expelled or suspended from school, forcing my mother to move me to a new one. And then the cycle of me being violent, getting expelled, and transferring schools went on for the entirety of my primary school years. My behavior was hellish for my mum, but she never got mad at me for wanting to defend the weak, but rather she got mad because I was so violent about it.

"Agnes dear, as your mother, I am incredibly proud of your strong sense of justice and morality, but I did not train you to assault primary school-level children!" she would always say to me. I would always retaliate by answering, "Mummy, you're the one who always tells me that fighting without any justice is merely violence, and I had justice when I was pounding on those bullies!"

"Your actions were not justified, Agnes! I understand that you only wanted to defend the weak, but hurting and using violence on the villain does not make you any better than them! Only use your fist once they push you against a wall, but until then, use your words, or better yet, call an adult to handle the bullying."

But one thing she always said after the lecturing stuck to me. She said, "However, your intentions were justified. You wanted nothing more but to defend the weak."

My mother held my hand through everything. She never left my side, no matter what. I loved her very much. Mum was the only one who understood my intentions, and that I wasn't hurting people back then just for the fun of it or the fear of others I would have gained from it.

Due to the violent behavior, I displayed in my school, my classmates were frightened of me, even the ones I defended from bullies. Everyone around me had the constant fear of enraging me, and they would always be so relieved whenever I would change schools. I was often called a monster by adults as a little girl because of my hostile nature.

No one wanted to come near me or even look my way, and that was the icing to my cake of hostility. I was alone, and I had no friends. Everyone was scared of me. To a teenager, this might not be much of an issue. You would appreciate the fact that no one would ever bother you. But to a little girl, this was less than fun. I wanted friends, children my age to spend time and play with me.

I was a lovely girl if you got to know me. But nobody would ever give me a chance. If people only have an unpleasant impression of you, they wouldn't look or even think of you as any more than a cruel person. . .then what was the point in changing back then? That was my mindset as a child.

I had love and affection I wanted to offer others, but I didn't have anyone else but my mum. I had a hard time finding my place and purpose in life, and it didn't feel like anybody needed me either. I had strength and potential, but I didn't know how to use it other than beating the bullies in my primary school. I had good grades as well. But I didn't know which job to show them to once I was older. I didn't know what to do with my life.

My life was basically a blank canvas, one that needed something or someone to make it beautiful and show that I wasn't just a hostile monster. Because in my case, whatever I painted on the canvas, nobody would ever see it as beautiful. 

My life completely changed when something happened when I was six. Mr. and Mrs. Livingstone came knocking on our door one afternoon. The Livingstones, the heads of the very high-ranking, respected, and incredibly wealthy, Noble, and military families in England. 

They had a matter and an offer to discuss with my mum. The visit was unexpected because we were not aware they would be coming here. And because posh aristocrats such as them would have no reason to come knocking on the doors of commoners. And so, we were more than unprepared. Once my mother let them inside, they discussed the matter, and I happened to be involved in it. Mr. and Mrs. Livingtone first explained how they caught wind of a certain little girl getting expelled from her prestigious schools. She kept getting removed from her schools for the same violent behavior she displayed repeatedly. 

They were referring to me. 

They explained how they were made aware of my uncanny strength, especially when they heard about a scenario of me effortlessly beating five older children in a fight. After becoming more curious about me, they investigated who I was. After enough digging, they discovered my mother and how she was a well-respected and talented martial arts teacher. 

After explaining their knowledge about us, they offered us a deal even my mother couldn't refuse. The couple explained how they have been seeking potential servants who had knowledge of combat, and though they have found many, none of them was ever up to their standards, unlike us. They requested my mother work for them as a maid and anonymous guard of the Livingstone manor. And they asked that I do the same, as well. In return, they shall grant us residency inside the mansion and will pay us handsomely, and the amount of money they offered was enough to make a poor person weep. 

Mum and I sat on our seats, dumbfounded by their sudden request and offer. I looked at Mum and begged her to take on the offer, saying that we needed that kind of money. She was hesitant. After all, I would be involved as well, even if I made it clear that I wouldn't mind. I wanted to use my strength and do anything else but study in my room.

After a long silence, she eventually agreed. But with terms, the couple had to agree with for my mother to take on the job. Firstly, she agreed that I would be doing chores as well. 

However, I will be with her twenty-four-seven, for the entire day. I am not to separate from Mum under any conditions, even if it means sharing the same bedroom. Second, the couple shall meet their end of the bargain and guarantee that they will pay us our promised amount. Third, I will continue my studies and only work during the weekends and holidays. And lastly, I am not to be engaged in any destructive fighting until I am older.

The last condition nearly made my soul leave my body, but Mr. and Mrs. Livingstone agreed to the terms. I tried to retaliate about the final request to my mum. But alas, she just pinched my cheek as she would always do to get me to stop whining. I was greatly disappointed that I would not be able to use my strength against bad people other than bullies and that I had no say in the matter whatsoever. 

I was at a point in my mind where I needed to use my strength or at least protect someone using it. I needed a purpose in life. And I couldn't find it because nobody gave me a chance to be more than an aggressive monster. But, back then, I thought I might as well have done what my mother had told me.

A week later, we arrived at the mansion to begin working and for my mother to fill in some necessary paperwork. The room they gave us was a large bedroom in the servant wing of the mansion. It had two queen-sized beds and one attached bathroom. The Livingstone manor was massive and was about four stories tall. After settling in, we finally proceeded to work. Like any new employee, I was more than clumsy. But my mum was doing well, unlike me. She used to be a maid before finally pursuing her dream of becoming a martial arts teacher. Hence why she had no issues with household chores.

She assisted me a lot back then and taught me how to do my assigned duties, which wasn't a lot because I was still a young girl. Eventually, after some weeks, I was capable enough of working on my own without dear mummy's assistance. I would help my mother with her chores after school every day, and on weekends, I would do my assigned tasks. And yes, I did get to rest on some days. Every week, Mr. and Mrs. Livingstone paid our wages just as promised.

It was a simple life, and only my mother got involved with fighting any trespassers or intruders. I yearned to join her. But no matter how much persuading I did, she never succumbed to my request. But at least the chores were enough to satisfy my need to be of use to someone, but I wasn't using my talent in fighting whatsoever. And then, three years later when I was nine, Mrs. Livingstone became pregnant with twin girls, her and Mr. Livingstone's first pregnancy.

Once she gave birth, the mansion was buzzing and nervously panicking in a bittersweet manner, briefly, because we were now required to take care of two babies with golden spoons in their mouths from now. The firstborn was heir as head of the Livingstone family.

I was equally as nervous, but since I was a little girl, I doubted I would be as or even be involved at all with the kids, but I couldn't be any more wrong. The couple named the firstborn Aiko, and her twin was named Akito, and what the couple announced three weeks after the birth was beyond shocking.

"After the girls turn three, my husband and I will transfer them to a military base, and the two shall spend their childhood there. The military base shall be private and not be accessible to all military personnel. We will ensure that the living accommodations and housing for the kids and caretakers are more than comfortable and pleasant and will accommodate their needs. And once the girls come of age, we shall send military trainers and mentors to begin their training. My husband and I shall visit them every week. This setup will apply to all of our future kids. Now, why we are doing this? To ensure proper and thorough training for our children, and to teach them how not to rely on their parents from a young age."

At this time, my mother moved up to the rank of Head Maid in the mansion. It was in such a short time because of her model character. Aiko and Akito grew up to be lovely kids. I would often play with them and help with their needs. During our time together, their parents had another daughter, Aimi. She was born just one year after her older sisters. She was equally as lovely as them, though she was more prone to temper tantrums. But I did love the girls.

Once the twins turned three, their parents began hiring caretakers to take care of them on the base. They would need them once they move into their new home. I was twelve at this time. Aimi will join them once she turns three next year. Their parents asked my mum and me if one of us could join the kids and be their caretaker, meaning one of us would have to move out of the mansion.

There were two reasons for their request. They wanted to have one of their strongest servants be a caretaker for their kids. And because the girls pleaded with them to have me as a caretaker. I saw this as an opportunity to be with the kids. But my mother declined their request for the both of us, claiming she did not want her or me to be away from the mansion. 

Mr. And Mrs. Livingstone understood her decision, but I didn't. I was less than pleased. That very same night, I argued with my mother that I wanted to be with the kids and work on my own from then on, and she didn't need to come with me if she didn't wish to. I have formed a close bond with them, and I did not want to separate from them. I told Mum that I loved them like family and that this was my chance to use my strength to protect someone. Someone I deeply care about, seeing as though my own mother did not need my protection. 

It took plenty of convincing and yelling. But Mum saw how much I wanted to be by their side. She acknowledged that I've been far too sheltered and limited by her strict parental rules. By the end of it, she finally agreed to let me go and promised to visit me every day before pulling me into a tight embrace. I then thanked her for always being there for me.

A week later, I, along with the twins and two other caretakers, transferred into our new residence. We continued with our new lifestyle from there. Once you see the base, you would not be aware that it was a military base, for it appeared to be a normal large and armed mansion to those who haven't been inside or aren't aware of its true purpose. But the inside of the abode was fit for a family with young children, however, some rooms did contain firearms and weapons for military purposes. The base may seem like a humble home, but it still accommodated military needs. 

The girls were not too much trouble, but kids are never easy to look after. They caused mischief and headaches. Things didn't become easier once Aimi moved here when she turned three. As I said earlier, she was prone to temper tantrums. She threw fits over the simplest things, whether I said no to giving her more candy or telling her to eat her vegetables. But genuinely, behind all those flaws, I did care about them. It was a bittersweet feeling. They gave me the purpose I yearned for to serve. And that is to look after them and protect them, to serve as their mother. Whenever I looked at them, I saw something that made my life brighter, something that painted my blank life.

The girls were troublemakers but were lovely children. They would immediately apologize whenever they did something wrong and greet me good morning every morning by tackling me to the ground with a hug. Every day they showed how much they appreciated me. I adored them.

We could all only imagine my excitement when Mrs. Livingstone gave birth to yet another set of twins when I was twelve, two identical boys, Levi and Lee. And the two were just the sweetest. The boys joined their older sisters after they turned three. By this time, the other caretakers have left or resigned after seeing I was more than capable of looking after these kids by myself. And because I was the only one the children liked. Over time, I've begun to think of these kids as my own. I spent more than half of my life with them. And yes, during my teenage years, I did manage to do the things teens my age did back then. But I was more focused on my kids. I received my first "I love you" from them when I was fourteen. It made me tear up hearing that sentence from one of them. Nonetheless, I said it back with pride and joy.

They were the light of my life. They were the ones that painted on my blank canvas. They were the ones that made it and my life beautiful. They didn't see me as a monster. They gave me a chance and never left my side. And for that, I love them as my own, and I know they see me as a mother.

And the best part of it all was that I had the honor of seeing them grow up into amazing adults and be a mother figure to them. I miss seeing them as little children, but now they're busy adults with families of their own and heavy responsibilities to fulfill.

But I do not regret anything. I don't regret spending more than half of my life caring for them. 

They are my children, and their parents were hardly present as they grew up. I made a vow that I would never leave their side no matter what. I've stuck with Levi because he took over his family's title instead of his sister, but I still communicate with the siblings despite two of them being away in another country. 

I miss them dearly, but I have Levi and his family with me. 

I didn't have a biological family of my own, but I didn't need one. I already had a family. I do not know what I would have done with my life if I had never met the Livingstones. I will forever be grateful to them.

I promise upon my life to forever be loyal. I will love you all unconditionally.

Thank you for giving my life meaning. Thank you for painting on my blank canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment